- Born into English high class
- Becomes Quaker against father’s wishes, is imprisoned for heresies. Later freed.
- Becomes trustee of land in New Jersey that is under ownership dispute from 2 Quakers.
- James, Duke of York (later James II) owed Penn money so Penn finagles proprietorship of a tract of land in Pennsylvania for a Quaker colony.
- Disputes with the lord of Maryland over where borders lie cause Penn much trouble and necessitates trip(s?) to England to settle dispute over who owns access to the Chesapeake bay
- Philadelphia is positioned to make use of both the Delaware River and the Schuylkill River.