1. In the video “Sexism in the News Media 2012” what is it that some newscasters blame military women for?
being killed in combat
not being able to have children
being war heroes
2. In “Feminist Transformation of Moral Theory”, Virginia Held claims that which abstract concept has guided the development of Western ethics?
The feminist woman
The child of love
The man of reason
The mother of care
3. How have historians tended to treat typically male tendencies versus typically female tendencies, according to Nel Noddings in the article “Maternal Ethics”?
Historians value female tendencies more highly because it is childbearing and childrearing that enable the group to survive
Male tendencies, like mathematics, warfare, and even singing have been prized more highly by historians
Historians have generally paid equal regard to both kinds of tendency.
Historians value female tendencies more highly because most historians have themselves been female
4. According to Virginia Held’s article “Feminist Transformation of Moral Theory”, a thinker named Annette Baier claims that the history of Western ethical thought does not take into account feminine aspects because:
The great moral theorists were often loving husbands.
The great moral theorists hated women.
The great moral theorists were men who had little intimate interaction with women.
Oh, those great moral theorists
5. According to Virginia Held in “Feminist Transformation of Moral Theory”, feminist theories of self:
see the self as related to specific humans in relationship
see human selves primarily in competitive terms
relate the individual to universal attempt to do away with the notion of the self altogether
attempt to prove that the female self is naturally superior to the male self
6. In Carol Gilligan’s example from In a Different Voice, the child named Amy focuses on which aspect of the Heinz dilemma?
the relationships involved in the dilemma
the logical nature of the problem
a utilitarian calculus that weighs the options
Kohlberg’s theory of moral development
7. According to Virginia Held from “Feminist Transformation of Moral Theory”, which of the following have been aligned with femininity in the history of Western thought?
all of the above
8. According to Caroline Heldman, which of the following is a question that applies to her sexual object test?
Does the image show people having sex?
Does the image show a person as something that can be bought or sold?
Does the image display a full image of a woman?
Does the image display violence against people in the image?
9. What does Noddings say about male versus female language when opposing war in the article “Maternal Ethics”?
Men are more likely to speak in the abstract about violence; women are more likely to refer to their own hands on experience in helping victims of violence
Women are more likely to become emotional rather than rational when discussing such matters Women and men use approximately the same types of language when discussing the horror of death
Women feel that language is irrelevant; it is actions that count
10. What does Nel Noddings have to say about essentialism about gender, according to the article “Maternal Ethics”?
It is problematic because it has been associated with creation and because it has always favored males over females
It is the clearly false view that men and women have essences
It wrongly assumes that God could not have made us in ways that were contrary to our ‘essential nature’
Culture is irrelevant; all of our behaviors are innate
11. According to Nel Noddings’s “Maternal Ethics”, psychiatric studies have revealed which of the following about the relationship between criminal violence and childhood abuse?
Criminal violence follows childhood abuse equally in males and females
When criminal violence follows childhood abuse it is almost alwaysin males
Women are more likely to commit criminal violence if the childhoodabuse was at a younger age No correlation has been found at all between criminal violence andchildhood abuse
12. What, according to Nel Noddings’ article “Maternal Ethics”, do male philosophers tend to say about death (as opposed to women)?
Men are more brave in the face of death than women because of their natural courageousness
Death tends to be harder on men due to their attachments to the glory of this world
Women are more able to allow their faith in the afterlife overcome their aversion to death
Male philosophers often talk as though the world or reason and abstraction is superior to the physical world of the body
13. According to the the video “Prostitutes of God”, what is the name of the female goddess to which young girls are dedicated and then forced into prostitution in India?
14. What does Nel Noddings say about rates of violent crime among men and women, according to the article “Maternal Ethics”?
Women commit nearly as much crime as men do; gender differences here are illusory
Men commit far fewer violent crimes than women; our ignorance of this is due to the influence of media.
There has never been a proven case of a woman committing a violent crime; all such crimes have been committed by men.
By nature men are generally much more violence prone than women
15. What does Noddings say about women’s feelings about the death of the body, according to the article “Maternal Ethics”?
Women know the preciousness of the body because they create them and care for them
Women, more than anyone, just want to know that the soul of their child has gone to heaven
Women are happy not to have to deal with the messiness of dead bodies
Men tend to be more sensitive to the death of the body since they are the ones that have to risk their own lives in war
16. According to Caroline Heldman, what product was pulled from Abercrombie and Fitch stores based on protests through a blog?
padded swimsuit tops for toddlers
deep V-neck t-shirts
17. According to Caroline Heldman, what is one way that men can contribute to overcoming the sexual objectification of women?
they can stop seeking attention
they can be kind to women
they can stop evaluating women based on their looks
they can tell women that they are attractive
18. According to Colin Stokes, which of the following are questions in the Bechdel test?
Is there more than one female character?
When they speak to each other, do they talk about something other than a man?
Do they speak to each other?
all of the above
19. According to Caroline Heldman, what is the name of being aware of one’s appearance in relation to position, light, who is watching, etc. ?
habitual body monitoring
20. In “Feminist Transformation of Moral Theory”, Virginia Held uses which example to talk about the political distinctions that separate men and women in the realms of the public and the private?
a business man going out for cocktails
a mother nursing her child
a city planner developing a building
a mother homeschooling her children