Historians have identified the period between 1730 and 1770 as the Great Awakening in the American colonies. This period was characterized by a revival of religious interest more than a century after the pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock.
Review” The First Great Awakening,” authored by Christine Leigh Heyrman, athttp://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/tserve/eighteen/ekeyinfo/grawaken.htm
This reading will give you additional details beyond what your textbook describes. The Web site also displays several essays associated with the Great Awakening. Choose at least one of these essays to explore this topic more fully.
Based on your textbook readings, the article “The First Great Awakening” by C.L. Heyrman, and the essay of your choice, complete the following:
- Describe and analyze the Great Awakening in terms of its impact on events at that time as well as its relevance to American culture today. Be sure to address the following:
- Where in the United States did this event occur?
- What precipitated this event and why was it so successful?
- What impact did this spiritual revival have on the social and political views of the colonists as well as on Native Americans and slaves?
- How did this spiritual revival influence behavior in northern colonies versus southern colonies?
- How do you think this spiritual revival influenced views associated with slavery?
- What parallels, if any, do you see in American culture today that are associated with religious piety?
- Are there any lessons learned from the Great Awakening that can be applied today?
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources.