Part I Click on this link: http://aoc.gov/paintings-0 (Historic Rotunda Paintings).
- Click on this link: http://aoc.gov/paintings-0 (Historic Rotunda Paintings).
- Click on the individual images for each of the 8 paintings to see them in more detail and read the short article on each of the corresponding pages for these paintings.
- Choose 2 images and write a 200–300-word paragraph for each of them addressing the following:
1. When was the image commissioned and hung? What is the historical context of this painting? What events were occurring when this painting was created that could have contributed to its content? How are those connections between content and context most clearly presented?
2. Is the artist successful in communicating contextual influences? Is the message too difficult to understand for a modern viewer?
- As a heading for each paragraph, include the image, its title, and the artist.
- Click on this link: http://aoc.gov/capitol-hill/national-statuary-hall-collection/about-national-statuary-hall-collection (About the National Statuary Hall Collection).
- Read the short overview and description of the collection and search to find the 2 statues that represent your state.
- Copy the image for each representative of your state into the document or presentation.
- If you are not a resident of the United States or do not claim a “home state” for any reason, you are free to adopt any of the 50 states as your own for the purposes of this assignment.
- After the image, include the individual’s name and the state he or she represents.
- In a 200–300-word paragraph for each image,
- give a short summary of the individual’s historic significance and
- give an evaluation of whether this individual is a good choice to represent your state.