CJS 240 Week 5 Checkpoint The Justice Systems (Appendix D)
- Individuals arrested have the right to receive Miranda warnings.
- The purpose of the procedures is to punish the guilty.
- Individuals on trial have the constitutional right to a jury trial.
- Court jurisdiction is determined by age.
- Individuals have the right to counsel.
- Individuals on trial do not have a right to a jury trial.
- There is the ability to negotiate and plea bargain.
- Court proceedings are public.
- Purpose of procedures is to protect and treat.
- Proceedings are not considered criminal.
- Justice system personnel use discretion.
- Court proceedings are private.
- Court jurisdiction is determined by offense.
- Proceedings are considered criminal.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys are key players in proceedings