1. Which of the following is used for Web content mining?
B. Online analytical processing
C. Neural networks
D. Web crawler
2. When the database approach makes it easier to deploy and control data access, which of the following advantages is being referred to?
A. Improved data accessibility
B. Improved data consistency
C. Improved data quality
D. Improved data sharing
3. Which of the following statements is true about an online analytical processing server?
A. It is a data structure allowing for multiple dimensions to be added to a traditional two-dimensional table.
B. It groups related records together on the basis of having similar values for attributes.
C. It understands how data are organized in the database and has special functions for analyzing the data.
D. It uses reasoning methods based on knowledge about a specific problem domain in order to provide advice.
4. Which of the following statements is true about exception reports?
A. They help analyze why a key indicator is not at an appropriate level or why an exception occurred.
B. They are produced at predefined intervals to support routine decisions.
C. They answer unplanned information requests to support a nonroutine decision.
D. They highlight situations that are out of the normal range.
5. Which of the following statements is true about key-indicator reports?
A. They provide a summary of critical information on a recurring schedule.
B. They help analyze why a key indicator is not at an appropriate level or why an exception occurred.
C. They are produced at predefined intervals to support routine decisions.
D. They highlight situations that are out of the normal range.
6. An attribute is also referred to as a:
7. Which of the following statements is true about an operational system?
A. Its primary purpose is to support managerial decision making.
B. It consists of historical or point-in-time data.
C. Its goal is to enhance ease of access and use.
D. It consists of narrow and simple updates and queries.
8. Bringes, a retail chain, has retail stores across three states. With its current legacy system, Bringes is having problems tracking the inventory levels for its stores. It is planning to implement an Oracle database system to replace this legacy system. Which of the following, if true, most supports Bringes' decision to replace its legacy system with an Oracle database system?
A. Implementing an Oracle database system will require hiring additional specialized personnel to manage it.
B. Partial implementation of the Oracle database system can create more problems than it is likely to solve.
C. Conversion cost required for the implementation of an Oracle database system is not supported by the IT budget.
D. Bringes' channel partners use a database system that supports the Oracle database system.
9. Data mining complements online analytical processing in that it:
A. finds associations or correlations among sets of items.
B. provides capabilities for discovering "hidden" predictive relationships in the data.
C. extracts textual information from Web documents.
D. groups related records together on the basis of having similar values for attributes.
10. Which of the following statements is true about a data mart?
A. It standardizes the format of data retrieved from different systems.
B. It contains selected data from the data warehouse.
C. It stores master data only.
D. It is a compilation of data from the database that is organized and produced in printed format.
11. In DBMS, data are kept separate from the application's programming code. This means that a(n):
A. application cannot be changed without making changes to the database.
B. application's programming code needs to be updated continuously to keep up with the database.
C. application needs to be changed when database is changed.
D. database does not need to be changed if a change is made to an application.
12. The processing in an expert system (ES) is called:
13. Once the data model is created, the format of the data is documented in a(n):
A. data warehouse.
B. data mart.
C. expert system.
D. data dictionary.
14. Which of the following statements is true about query by example (QBE) capabilities in a database?
A. It helps to create a query quickly and easily.
B. It refers to immediate automated responses to the requests of users.
C. It is designed to handle multiple concurrent transactions from customers.
D. It is primarily used in gathering new information.
15. Which of the following is a disadvantage of the database approach?
A. Enforcement of standards
B. Program–data independence
C. Organizational conflict
D. Minimal data redundancy
16. A query is used to:
A. organize and sort the data in a database.
B. allocate storage space for a database.
C. eliminate data duplication.
D. retrieve data from a database.
17. Business analytics augments business intelligence by using __________ analysis to help identify trends or predict business outcomes.
18. Business rules are captured by the designers of the database and included in the data dictionary to:
A. organize and sort the data, complete calculations, and allocate storage space.
B. prevent illegal or illogical entries from entering the database.
C. eliminate data duplication.
D. make sure that each table contains only attributes that are related to the entity.
19. Which of the following statements is true about an information system?
A. Its primary purpose is to run the business on a current basis.
B. Its design goal is to enhance ease of access and use.
C. It consists of narrow and simple updates and queries.
D. Its design goal is to enhance performance.
20. __________ integrates data from various operational systems.
A. A data warehouse
B. A metadata repository
C. Data modeling
D. Master data
21. _________ immediately after the purchase order is issued in the procure-to-pay process.
A. Payment is settled
B. Price and terms are negotiated
C. Credit is checked
D. Goods are received
22. For most businesses, the __________ process entails several subprocesses including creating a customer record, checking the customer's creditworthiness, creating an order, checking and allocating stock, and shipping.
23. According to the order-to-cash process, what would the next step be for an online retailer after creating an order for a customer?
A. Collect payment
B. Create customer record
C. Check and allocate stock
D. Pick, pack, and ship
24. In the order-to-cash process, once "checking credit" is done, it is followed by:
A. collecting payment.
B. creating an order.
C. allocating stock.
D. picking, packing, and shipping.
25. __________ components support the primary external activities of the organization for dealing with suppliers and customers.
A. ERP essence
B. ERP aggrandized
C. ERP abridged
D. ERP extended
26. Which of the following is true regarding enterprise resource planning (ERP)?
A. It stores data in different locations.
B. It is an older version of materials requirement planning.
C. It helped in developing the manufacturing resource planning package.
D. It makes the process of sharing information between business activities easier.
27. How is business process management similar to quality improvement approaches such as total quality management?
A. They are intended to be cross-functional approaches to improve an organization.
B. They focus on radical redesign and drastic improvement of processes.
C. They focus on incremental change of processes.
D. They focus on the activities typically occurring at the operational level of the organization.
28. Designing and developing applications that support the primary business activities are a part of the __________ activities.
A. operations and manufacturing
B. outbound logistics
C. technology development
29. Which of the following statements is true with regards to packaged and custom software?
A. Packaged software is applications that are designed and developed exclusively for a specific organization.
B. The development costs of custom software are much higher than for packaged software because of the time, money, and resources that are required to design and develop them.
C. Packaged software is well suited for tasks that are unique to a particular business.
D. Custom software is cost effective since the vendor that builds the application can spread out development costs through selling to a large number of users.
30. By breaking down business processes into individual services, organizations can react more swiftly to changing business needs. To achieve these benefits, services have to follow three main principles:
A. reusability, interoperability, and reliability.
B. reusability, reliability, and componentization.
C. reusability, interoperability, and componentization.
D. reusability, interoperability, and accessibility.
31. Legacy systems can prove problematic when information from multiple departmental systems is required to support business processes and decision making. Which of the following is most similar to the above scenario?
A. Chuck's is a retail chain that has an inventory management system which is tied to an RFID system. This system notifies Chuck's managers when the inventory in its stores falls below a certain level.
B. Quick Software Solutions has an automated system to track employee absence. It also uses a non-automated system like attendance registers that employees sign every day. This information is updated to Quick's database management system on a weekly basis.
C. Nuok Tires supplies its products to Fresto, an automobile manufacturer. Nuok Tires' factories are located close to Fresto's factories to minimize transportation costs.
D. Fender, a guitar manufacturer, allows customers to design their guitars online. Potential buyers need to send the design with the order to receive their customized guitars.
33. According to business process management, what would be management's next step after developing a vision for the organization?
A. They should identify the ways in which information systems can be used to improve the various business processes.
B. They should design and implement a prototype of the new processes.
C. They should manage the information technology to be used from a business transaction perspective.
D. They should identify the critical processes that are to be redesigned.
34. Which of the following is true regarding the formula for success of an enterprise system?
A. Enterprise systems implementations should include personnel from different departments.
B. The success of an enterprise system depends directly on the support received from middle-management.
C. Enterprise systems are simple to understand and implement when compared to stand-alone systems.
D. Using outside consultants tends to complicate the implementation of an enterprise system.
35. Which of the following is the first step in the procure-to-pay process?
A. Negotiate price and terms
B. Issue purchase order
C. Receive goods
D. Receive invoice
36. In service-oriented architecture, business processes:
A. are broken down into individual components or services.
B. of an organization are standardized.
C. of an organization are carried out by a large, comprehensive system.
D. are shared with channel partners.
37. The features and modules that an enterprise system comes with out of the box are referred to as the __________ version.
38. In the context of core business processes, which of the following uses a push-based approach?
39. Which of the following types of software is best suited for tasks that are unique to a particular business?
40. Specifically, ERP extended components focus primarily on:
A. customer relationship management and product lifecycle management.
B. product lifecycle management and supply chain management.
C. customer relationship management and human capital management.
D. customer relationship management and supply chain management.
41. A __________ information flow relates to the information that is produced by a company and sent along to another organization.