1. When considering outsourcing, what should firms tend to avert?
Allowing outsourcing to develop into a substitute for innovation
Losing control of noncore activities
Giving the outsourcing partner opportunities to become a strong competitor
Allowing employees transferred to the outsourcing partner to rejoin the firm
2. What is the important starting point in developing a capacity plan?
Predicting the ability of suppliers to meet needs
Determining the effective capacity of a resource over some period of time.
Predicting the needs of customers
Understanding key components of the supply chain
3. Which of the following is an input to the master production schedule (MPS)?
Bill of materials
The aggregate plan
Inventory records file
4. Which of the following is an input file necessary to run an MRP program?
Planned order schedules
Bill of materials (BOM) file
Quality management report
5. Which of the following forecasting methods is very dependent on selection of the right individuals who will judgmentally be used to actually generate the forecast?
Simple moving average
Time series analysis
Weighted moving average
6. The main purpose of aggregate operations planning is to specify the optimal combination of which of the following?
Inventory on hand and financing costs for that inventory
Workforce levels and inventory on hand
The workforce level and the degree of automation
The strategic plan and the products available for sale
7. Which of the following is an essential resource that flows through a hospital supply chain?
Doctors and Nurses
8. In business forecasting, what is usually considered a short term time period?
Four weeks or less
Six months or more
Less than three months
More than three months
9. Which of the following is an input file necessary to run an MRP system?
Planned order schedule
Inventory records file
Computer aided design files
10. Which of the following is most closely related to the reason a firm might implement MRP?
So they can order the right parts
So they can order parts sufficient for immediate use
To assure appropriate quality levels
So they can insure that parts to arrive D. To assure appropriate quality levels
11. Which of the following is one of the main purposes of a MRP system?
Decrease labor requirements.
Educate personnel in basic work rules.
Determine the materials needed.
Stimulate the work force.
12. The text mentions several common approaches to use when developing a strategy to close a capacity gap (where utilization of a resource exceeds capacity available). Which of the following is among the common approaches mentioned?
Hire more employees
Closing a related department
Transferring capacity from other units
13. Which of the following is a perpetual system for inventory management?
Fixed time period
Fixed order quantity
First in first out
14. Which of the following is considered a pure production planning strategy?
Stable workforce, variable work hours
Variable workforce, stable work hours
Level playing field
15. In conducting aggregate operations planning there are a number of required inputs. Which of the following are inputs considered most external to the firm?
Current physical capacity of the organization
Raw material availability and competitor's behavior
Internal inventory levels and market demand
Subcontractor capacity and inventory levels
16. In most cases, demand for products or services can be broken into several components. Which of the following is considered a component of demand?
17. Which of the following is an input to the master production schedule?
Prototype products from product development
Aggregate component schedule
Peg reports from factory records
Forecasts of customer demand
18. What is the effect of the lack of synchronization among supply chain members?
19. Which of the following is one of the categories of manufacturing inventory?
Work in process
Economic Order Inventory
20. Which is the most challenging kind of supply chain to manage according to Hau Lee?
21. What is another name for the fixed order quantity inventory model?
Cycle counting model
The ABC model
Economic order quantity model
Periodic replenishment model