Question Chapter 3
1) ________ results when an external message drives people to feel a need or want to buy a
A) Demand creation
B) Direct marketing
C) Social marketing
D) Cause marketing
E) Mission marketing
2) The question of whether advertising creates social values rather than merely reflecting them is
known as the ________.
A) social-versus-economic debate
B) competitive-versus-market power debate
C) personal-versus-corporate debate
D) personal-versus-social debate
E) shape-versus-mirror debate
3) A ________ is a representation of a cultural group that emphasizes a trait or group of traits
that may or may not communicate an accurate representation of the group.
B) reference group
4) Which of the following states a message that is untrue?
B) comparative advertising
C) image advertising
D) product demonstrations
E) false advertising
5) Which of the following is a term that describes what happens when Western culture is
imposed on others?
A) marketing imposition
B) cultural imposition
C) cultural imperialism
D) demand creation
E) marketing elitism
6) Many professions write a code of ________ to help guide practitioners toward ethical
7) Which of the following codes is designed to help marketers and advertising specialists create
transparent advertising in a fair, honest, and forthright manner?
A) FTC Improvement Act
B) Principles and Practices for Advertising Ethics
C) The Distilled Spirits Council Model
D) National Advertising Review Board Rules
E) Better Business Bureau of Practices
8) Under which of the following are unique trademarks protected from infringement by
A) Pure Food and Drug Act
B) Wheeler-Lea Amendment
C) Lanham Act
D) Federal Trade Commission Act
E) FTC Improvement Act
9) A recent trademark issue is protection for URLs, which are ________.
C) Internet domain names
D) self-regulating agencies
E) consumer-interest groups
10) If the National Advertising Review Board (NARB) and an allegedly deceptive advertiser
cannot reach a satisfactory resolution, the case is most likely referred to the ________.
A) National Advertising Division (NAD)
B) American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA)
C) Advertising Review Council (ARC)
D) American Advertising Federation (AAF)
E) Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
11) Which of the following is NOT an element of the SMCR communication model?
12) The SMCR communication model begins with the ________.
E) target audience
13) Who encodes the message in the SMCR communication model?
A) the receiver
B) the channel
C) the media
D) the source
E) the encoder
14) When a message is interpreted by the receiver in the SMCR model, it means it has been
15) ________ is obtained in the SMCR communication model by monitoring the response of the
receiver to the message.
16) Which of the following is NOT an element of the AIDA model?
17) Because AIDA assumes that consumers start with attention and wind up with a decision, it is
referred to as a(n) ________ model.
18) A high level of interest and attention is sometimes referred to as ________.
19) ________ means the message connects on some personal level with the receiver.
20) Which of the following refers to speaking out on a brand's behalf and referring to it when
someone asks for a recommendation?
A) social rehearsal
B) cognitive learning