CIS 505 Assignment 1: Accessibility
Building a user interface that meets the needs of a diverse population can be incredibly difficult. Research the best practices for developing a universally usable interface, as well as some of the federal legislation that applies (i.e., section 508).
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Assess at least five (5) best practices for developing a universally usable interface.
- Evaluate how section 508 affects developing user interfaces and assess this compliancy standard’s impact on users.
- Give three (3) examples of available tools for verifying that your interfaces meet universal design guidelines and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Examine the practicality of building multiple interface options for diverse populations, rather than building one (1) interface that meets the needs of the majority of end users.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the guidelines, principles, and theories in an HCI setting.
- Describe the usability properties of interactive systems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in human-computer interaction.
- Write clearly and concisely about HCI topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.