STR 581 Capstone Exam 1. The concept that some leadership attributeswill work in some
situations but not in others can be described by the
leadership effectiveness theory
2. Sam Meyers manages a telemarketing call center. He has 20 employees working for him who are displeased with the way he yells and threatens to terminate them for what they see as small issues. Which kind of power is Sam using to get the job done?
STR 581 Casptone Exam 3. Which of the following is considered an organizational blueprint
, which prescribes the quantity and time frame for when each end product will be assembled?
WBS (Work Breakdown Structure)
ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
MRP (Material Requirements Plan)
MPS (Master Production Schedule)
4. In performing a SWOT analysis, which of the following would be considered as a threat?
Lack of a strategic plan
Increased product demand
The correct project software
Application of the learning curve theory
Tools and materials availability
People management skills
6.Which of the following is considered a major process flow structure?
STR 581 Casptone Exam 7. Some studies indicate the best approach for transformational changemay have the chief executive officer create an atmosphere for change
and begin establishing a vision
and establish a reward system
but let others decide how to initiate change
but carefully set limits for the program
8. Deming’s PDCA (plan, do, check, and act) cycle underlies what inherent Six Sigma principle?
Correcting specific problems of the past
Maximizing workforce commitment
10. According to the job characteristics model,autonomy is defined as the degree to which
a job generates direct and clear information about performance
a job provides the worker freedom, independence, and discretion
a job has an impact on the lives or work of other people
a job requires completion of a whole and identifiable piece of work
STR 581 Casptone Exam 11. Active listening requires:
interruptions to get your point across
summarizing all areas of the performance-interview feedback discussion.
summarizing only the areas of agreement
verbal communications only
12. An example of control criteriathat can be used in any situation is ________.
number of calls taken per day
client requests completed per hour
average time to process paperwork
STR 581 Capstone Exam 13. Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to __________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
14. Which of the following is ISO 14000primarily concerned with?
Continuous improvement management
STR 581 Final Exam 15. Which of the following is a desirablestrategy for managers aiming to reduce the negative consequences of rumors?
Creating a more informal communication environment at the workplace
Initiating disciplinary action against the employee who started the rumor
Encouraging employees to communicate their concerns and suggestions
Refusing to comment on issues that appear to be controversial and unfair
16. ________ refers to an individual’s belief that he or she is capable of performing a task.
STR 581 Final Exam 17. When an employee volunteers toruna canned food drive, this is an example of
organizational citizenship behavior
18. As a university student, yourinstitution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices shouldbe evaluated in relation to the social issues that the school is addressing. If your university provides job-share programs, builds a day-care facility, and only uses recycled paper, it could be said to be ________.
socially image conscious
fulfilling its social obligation
STR 581 Final Exam 19. A project can be segmentedinto which of the following?
20. In order to make their firm a learningorganization, managers should\
increase the degree of departmentalization
reinforce interdependence and reduce boundaries
avoid the use of cross-functional teams
STR 581 Final Exam 21. Conflicts can be resolvedby withdrawing from them or suppressing them. This conflict-management technique is known as ________.
22. Adoration of a charismaticleader by followers can lead tolimiting suggestions of fixes and improvements
a competitive work environment
greater understanding of the company mission
difficulty in developing a successor
23. Which of the following statements is truewith regard to the effectiveness of tactics?
All tactics are equally effective with regard to upward influence.
Individuals from collectivist cultures are typically more likely to use soft tactics that reflect
The combination of a soft tactic with reasonable persuasion is more effective than a
combination of two hard tactics.
Soft tactics are less effective than hard tactics when used individually
24. ____________ is the biggesthurdle to overcome in a pay-for-performance plan.
Salary cap performance level
25. Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actually doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions.What type of training methoddoes Mary’s new employer use?
26. In _____, workers have been fired for refusingto quit smoking, for living with someone
without being married, drinking a competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
invasion of privacy
27. Which of the following is one of Dr. Eli Goldratt'srules of production scheduling for optimized production technology?
If you lose an hour at a bottleneck it is better than making scrap.
Do not allow bottlenecks to govern the flow of the line.
Utilization and activation of a resource are not the same.
An hour saved at a bottleneck operation does not increase the process flow.
28. The Civil Rights Act of 1991offered what for victims of unintentional discrimination?
monetary damages and jury trials
29. Which of the followingis an element that addresses elimination of waste under lean production?
Minimized run times
Production ahead of demand
Kanban production control system
Trainingthat results in ______ is costly because of the cost of training (which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
reinforcement of training
simulation of training
applicability of training
negative transfer of training