Assignment 1: Should the U.S. Convert to a Zero Personal Income Tax?
Due Week 7 and worth 280 points
In a recent news article located at http://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/heres-where-your-federal-income-tax-dollars-go-f654971, NBC News reported that the U.S. Government spends $3.6 trillion per year to fund Social Security, Medicare, homeland defense and safety, education, transportation, and the interest on debt obligations. In spite of the services and benefits that the government provides, many taxpayers dread paying income taxes but consider them a necessary evil. Consequently, there is much debate about the inequities contained within the tax code, due to tax shelters and tax credits provided to some taxpayers which thereby increase the tax burden on others.
Using the Internet or Strayer Library, research one (1) country that has a zero income tax rate.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Analyze the way in which the one (1) country that you have researched provides services and benefits to its citizens without collecting personal income taxes.
- For the country that you have chosen, determine whether or not the U.S. could adopt their taxation model without reducing its total amount of revenue generated by collecting personal income taxes from individuals and business. Justify your response.
- Suggest at least two (2) advantages and two (2) disadvantages of the U.S. adopting a zero income tax model. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Create a proposal for where the revenue would be derived if the U.S. were to adopt a zero income tax model. In your response, provide specific recommendations concerning the following:
- The proposed tax base.
- Whether or not tax payers at certain income levels should be exempt from taxation.
- The primary way in which the IRS would calculate the tax rate in order to ensure that the same level of tax revenue would still be collected.
- The primary way in which your plan will achieve equity.
- Speculate on the primary way in which the federal government could make up any shortfalls if it does not collect its targeted revenue from personal income taxes, and ascertain the most significant way in which the U.S. Department of the Treasury, through the IRS, can still adhere to its fiscal and monetary policies. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements: