CIS 535 Term Paper: Using Agile Project Management on Mobile Application Development
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
Imagine that you are the project manager of a critical project for an organization. The organization wants to implement an application on an iPad and Android Tablet that provides near real-time updates for the marketing executives and managers on the effectiveness and success of their marketing campaigns. Since this project is so critical to the overall financial health of the company, you were asked to complete this project in three (3) months. Your business sponsors are very interested in your approach to manage this project and they are also demanding to see what the project team can deliver on a weekly basis.
Due to the tight deadline, the project team was assembled quickly with ten (10) team members of various backgrounds. There are three (3) offshore developers in India and two (2) QA testers in San Francisco, CA. The rest of the project team and the product owner are in Herndon, VA. The team members were unfamiliar with each other. Additionally, there are ethical issues. For example, a developer has been consistently blaming an analyst for his accent that has little to do with project development. Another QA tester rarely spoke out in the meeting, but consistently went to her management to complain about a couple of project team members’ lack of documentation which delayed her QA plan and test cases. When you started to run the project, you were told that the project deadline was moved up two (2) weeks from the original deadline. With such a pressure on time, conflicts broke out and team morale is down. You have to help bring the project back on track by solving various conflicts and improve the collaborative work effort.
Note: You may create and / or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a ten to fifteen (10-15) page paper in which you:
- Suggest the agile project management framework that is best suited for this project. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Create a project plan for this project based on your proposed framework through the use of MS Project or Excel. Note: List all major milestones, resources, tasks and dependencies. Include tools such as risk log to enhance your project plan.
- Propose at least five (5) agile techniques and tools that you will use to manage this project. Justify your response.
- Propose the fundamental strategies you will use to conduct requirements sessions and manage the multiple tracks of work on a daily basis.
- Determine the vital techniques you will use to manage conflicts and facilitate collaboration throughout the project. Provide at least two (2) examples of these techniques to support your response.
- Determine the key techniques and tools you will use to monitor and control the progress of the project. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Speculate on the key differences and consequences if you were to manage the same project with a traditional project management approach instead of using agile strategies. Justify your response.
- Suggest at least two (2) methods you will use to control the quality of work. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Determine the prominent method(s) you would use to close the project. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least five (5) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Compare and contrast agile project management methods with traditional project management.
- Describe agile values, principles, and practice.
- Compare and contrast agile development approaches.
- Analyze and differentiate among the different agile project delivery frameworks.
- Describe the role of agile coaches and required leadership attributes.
- Describe effective communication strategies among agile coaches.
- Explain how agile teams and coaches master agile project management.
- Analyze the coaching methods and best practices of agile coaches.
- Compare and contrast facilitation techniques among agile coaches.
- Explain the role of an agile coach in addressing ethical issues and conflict among team members.
- Compare and contrast best practices with collaboration and cooperation in agile teams.
- Develop agile project management solutions to solve a business problem.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in advanced agile project management topics.Write clearly and concisely about advanced agile project management topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.