Analyze the legality/illegality of the operation under current
A family on vacation becomes stuck in traffic on a U.S. mountain highway in the forest. None of the other drivers nearby has any idea what the cause is, so the father sends the family’s small video camera-equipped multi-copter UAS low over the stopped traffic ahead, in search of the problem, zooming low over the heads of other motorists who are also outside their vehicles. The problem is a fast-growing forest fire that is throwing flame and embers across the highway. A DC-10 heavy air tanker is approaching to drop slurry in an attempt to douse the fire, and the father positions the drone to capture dramatic close-up video of the drop.
- Analyze the legality/illegality of the operation under current Federal Aviation Regulations, identifying:
- Each specific FAR violation that might be charged
- Potential penalties the FAA could impose for each such violation.
- Analyze the legality/illegality of the operation under current federal aviation-specific criminal laws, identifying:
- Each specific federal aviation-specific crime that could be charged
- Potential penalties for each such crime
- May there also be state UAS-specific laws being violated here? Explain.