Case Study: United Thermostatic Controls
Read Case Study 3-3: United Thermostatic Controls (See Attached)
In two to three pages, supported by evidence from your text and from other research (at least one resource is required), answer the following questions:
1. Identify the stakeholders in this case. Identify their interests and United’s obligations to satisfy those interests from an ethical perspective.
2. Describe the ethical responsibilities of Tony Cupertino as a CPA and CIA. How do these responsibilities effect whom Cupertino should approach in United based on the organization chart?
3. Assume Tony Cupertino decides to delay contacting Walter Hayward and, instead, Cupertino contacts the CFO of Bilco Corporation and offers a 20 percent discount on the total $130,000 cost of merchandise if Bilco agrees to approve the partial shipment on December 30, 2013. Cupertino adds that the $26,000 would be deducted from the remaining $65,000 to be shipped during January 2014. Evaluate Cupertino’s actions with respect to the following:
§ Is the offer ethical or unethical? Why?
§ Has Cupertino violated any of his reporting responsibilities in directly contacting the CFO of Bilco?
• Must be two to three double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style
• Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
• Must use at least two scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
• Must document all sources in APA style.
• Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.