CIS 562: Computer Forensics Planning- Assignment:Corporate Embezzlement
Assignment- Corporate Embezzlement
Imagine you are employed by a large city police department as the leader of the digital forensics division. A large corporation in the city has contacted the police for assistance in investigating its concerns that the company Chief Financial Officer (CFO) has been using company money to fund personal travel, gifts, and other expenses. As per the company security director, potential evidence collected thus far includes emails, bank statements, cancelled checks, a laptop, and a mobile device.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page plan report in which you:
- Explain the processes you would use to seize, search, collect, store, and transport devices and other potential sources of evidence.
- Indicate the personnel resources needed for the investigation and assess why you believe this amount of resources is warranted.
- List the initial questions you would have for the security director regarding the company’s email environment and explain the tasks you would consider performing for this portion of the investigation.
- Create an outline of the steps you would take to ensure that if a trial were brought against the CFO, the evidence collected would be admissible in the court of law.
- Determine the potential evidence (including logs, devices, etc.) you would request from the company security director based on what she has identified and identify the other data sources you might consider reviewing.
- Explicate the tools you would use for this investigation based on the potential evidence the company security director has already identified, as well as any other potential sources of evidence you might review.
- Describe the procedure and tool(s) you would consider utilizing for acquiring potential evidence from the CFO’s mobile device.
- Use at least five (5) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe and analyze practices in obtaining digital evidence.
- Compare and contrast the various types of computer forensic tools.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop procedural techniques in crime and incident scenes.
- Describe processes in recovering graphic, mobile, and email files.
- Develop a computer forensics plan that addresses and solves a proposed business problem.
- Use technology and information resources to research advanced issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to computer forensics planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.