CIS562: Computer Forensics Planning
Assignment 1: Professional Forensics Basics
Suppose you are the CISO at a large company and are trying to convince the Board of Directors that there is a business need for a system forensics department and lab, and substantial funding is needed.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Develop a compelling argument that you would present to the Board, making a case for creating a system forensics department and building a functional lab.
- Describe the difference between corporate investigations and law enforcement investigations and determine why corporate investigations are an integral part of an information security program.
- Explain the importance of employing dedicated system forensics specialists who are familiar with multiple computing platforms and the negative affect the lack of familiarization can have on an investigation.
- Compare and contrast public laws and company policy in terms of computer forensics and identify the role each plays in an investigation.
- Analyze the importance of using forensic specialists and professional conduct in an investigation and the affect this has in a court case and / or corporation investigation.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify the computer forensics investigation process.
- Outline system forensics issues, laws, and skills.
- Use technology and information resources to research advanced issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to computer forensics planning using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.