1. In a strong matrix structure, employees take daily direction from:
Project manager only
Both, but the project manager has greater influence
Both, but the functional manager has greater influence
Functional manager only
2. If the schedule variance is positive and the cost variance is negative, the project’s status is:
Over budget and behind schedule
Under budget and ahead of schedule
Over budget and ahead of schedule
Under budget and behind schedule
3. Which category of projects would involve a large number of functional units where the workers may be assigned either part-time or full-time?
4. Which type of chart provides the least “predictive” value?
5. Scope creep is generally the result of:
Too much detail in the specifications
Having too many levels in the WBS
Poorly defined SOW
Having the wrong people assigned to the project
6. Which of the following is the role of the PM rather than the role of the functional manager?
Where it will be done
How the work will be done
Who will do it
What work will be done
7. The balance between quality and cost is called:
8. The EVMS term that represents the value of work actually accomplished is:
9. Which of the following would be the first item to be discussed in the initial kickoff meeting for a project?
Understanding of the budget
Understanding of the schedule
Understanding of the requirements
Understanding of the plan
10. Quality is defined by the:
11. Which of the following people has the greatest influence on how much authority a project manager will possess on a given project?
The project sponsor
The project manager’s line manager
The project manager himself / herself
12. A project manager desires a work breakdown structure that goes through 6 levels of detail. Level 3 through level 6 would most likely be prepared by:
Subject matter experts
13. In which project life cycle phase does quality begin?
Initiation / planning
Monitoring & control
14. Project management restructuring allowed companies to manage projects that _____.
Had undefined objectives
Could not be handled by the traditional organization
Did not require effective cost control
Require little functional integration
15. Risk constitutes a lack of knowledge _____.
Of future events
About the estimates
About the customer’s requirements
About the environment
16. The two primary components of a risk are:
The probability and the impact
The impact and the event
The impact and the amount at stake
The event and the probability
17. Which of the following standard project estimating techniques is usually accomplished in weeks?
18. The hardest part in creating a best practices library is:
19. A typical project office (not to be confused with a project management office) responsible for the management of a large project includes the project manager and the:
Project sponsor and assistant project managers
Assistant project managers
Assistant project managers and functional managers
20. Industries that have _____ tasks and operate in a _____ environment demonstrated the greatest need for project management.
21. Pricing out the construction cost of a home by a cost per square foot would be representative of a(n) _____ estimate.
22. The collective term for the formal quality activities and processes is called:
23. The difference between the cost baseline and the contracted cost is the:
Cost of scope changes
Cost at completion
24. Plans such as the cost plan, schedule plan and quality plan are referred to as:
25. Companies can become reasonably mature in project management by designing the right support systems. In general, how much time usually elapses after maturity before a company becomes excellent in project management execution?
26. The best source of revenue for a customer-requested scope change is:
A customer-funded contract amendment
27. During the 1970s and 1980s, formal project management practices were put in place because the constraints were _____ and _____ boundaries had to be crossed
28. A charting technique designed to illustrate the inductive and deductive reasoning necessary to achieve some objective is called a _____ Diagram / network
29. Which of the following is often overlooked when planning and budgeting a project?
Timing of the deliverables
Number of meetings with the customer
Cost and size of contractual documentation
30. What is the project sponsor’s responsibility with regard to the WBS preparation?
The sponsor should not be involved in WBS development.
Make sure all work packages are well-defined.
Make sure that the management levels of the WBS are correct.
Make sure that the technical levels of the WBS are correct.