Running Head: MANAGING CONTENTION
Computer systems with multicore processors can increase performance by running applications in parallel, thus increasing the throughput that the computer system is able to attain. However, contention for caches, memory controllers, and interconnections may hinder performance and create deadlocks for resources. Read the paper “ Managing Contention for Shared Resources on Multicore Processors”, located in Week 8 of the online course shell. This case study proposes using contention-aware scheduling algorithms to alleviate the contention problems.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Examine the authors’ findings. (The authors ran three (3) applications (Soplex, Sphinx, and Namd) to test memory contention problems when different pairings of these applications were used.) The current and future trend is to increase processing performance by using multicore systems.
- Analyze the schedule that the authors used to test the applications using a distributed architecture. Identify which schedule they believed was the best.
- Evaluate the authors’ findings with regard to cache contention. Explain what causes contention for the cache.
- Analyze the contention avoidance methods proposed by the authors for the cache, memory controller, front-side bus (FSB), and prefetching hardware in the distributed architecture.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the main classes of hardware and system software components in an enterprise context.
- Compare and contrast the types and role of distributed software architecture.
- Describe computing technology, architecture, and future trends in processing
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in enterprise architecture.
- Write clearly and concisely about Advanced Computer Architecture topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.