Hazard Mitigation Plan Outline
- The community’s disaster history.
- What is mitigation and why is a mitigation plan necessary?
- How was the plan prepared?
- How did you obtain your information?
- The goals and objectives of the mitigation plan?
2. Community and Hazard Exposure Profile (part 2 of the template)
- Community population
- Miles of roads
- Manufacturing plants
- Military bases
3. List of possible community hazards (part 1 of the template). For each hazard discuss:
- Hazard description
- Impact on property
- Impact on safety and health
- Any other community considerations
4. Hazard Vulnerability analysis and frequency chart (part 3 of the template)
- Explanation of a hazard vulnerability analysis
- Your chart or list matrix
5. Your community’s capability assessment (part 4 of the worksheet)
- Community response capabilities
- Description of local law enforcement response capabilities (size, capability, etc.)
- Description of local fire agencies and response capabilities
- EMS capabilities, ambulance services, hospitals, etc.
- Physical resources
- Technical resources (example: early warning systems)
- Information resources (radio, TV, etc.)
- Financial resources (emergency funds in the community, grants, state funds, etc.)
6. Recommended Mitigation Measures (part 5 of the template). For each measure include information such as:
- Objectives supported
- Who is responsible
- When must it be done
- Who can help
- Their overall assessment of response capabilities
- Their recommendations for implementing priority mitigation projects for the community
- Their overall assessment of the community’s vulnerability and response capabilities
8. Any additional charts, graphs, illustrations, etc.
- They may include charts, graphs, and illustrations in the mitigation plan itself to assist with clarification and explanation. They must remember to include source citations if they copied items and/or for the information provided in the item if they created the chart or graph.
9. Cover page and reference page
- The cover page and reference page must be included. Remember these pages are not to be counted as part of the seven (7) page minimum.