Case Study ("Jerry McCall is Dr. William's office assistance") located in Chapter 4, pg 85 after the questions at the end of the chapter.
Jerry McCall is Dr. Williams’s office assistant. He has received professional training as both a medical assistant and a LPN. He is handling all the phone calls while the receptionist is at lunch. A patient calls and says he must have a prescription refill for Valium, an antidepressant medication, called in right away to his pharmacy, since he is leaving for the airport in thirty minutes. He says that Dr. Williams is a personal friend and always gives him a small supply of Valium when he has to fly. No one except Jerry is in the office at this time. What should he do?
Read the case study in Ch. 4 of Medical Law and Ethics that begins, “Jerry McCall is Dr. William’s office assistant.” located in Chapter 4, pg 85 after the questions at the end of the chapter.
Prepare a 700- to 1050-word paper in which you answer the following questions:
- Does Jerry’s medical training qualify him to issue this refill order? Why or why not?
- Would it make a difference if the medication requested were for control of high blood pressure that the patient critically needs on a daily basis? Why or why not?
- If Jerry calls in the refill and the patient has an adverse reaction while flying, is Jerry protected from a lawsuit under the doctrine of respondent superior?
- What is your advice to Jerry?
- Identify major legal and ethical issues that may affect Jerry’s decision.
- What problem-solving methods might be helpful to assist in making an ethical decision?
Include at least two sources in your paper.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines