You are preparing to write an article for a professional magazine regarding the value of diversity in teams. Diversity can include any of the following:
- National origin
- Sexual orientation
- Marital status
- Parental status
- Geographic location of residence
- Financial status
- Artistic endeavors
Research the subject using the library and Internet, and prepare an outline or a draft of the article you are to write.
Deliverable length: 3-6 paragraphs.
You are making a presentation to the supervisors in the company on the Tuckman forming, storming, norming, and performing model.
Include the following:
- Put together a PowerPoint presentation that will explain the model and the highlights of each phase.
- Insert any examples you can. Include the fact that the stages can be repeated.
- Be sure to use the notes feature of PowerPoint to include your presentation script.
- For more information on creating PowerPoint Presentations, please visit the PowerPoint Lab.
Deliverable length: 6-8 slides with in depth speaker notes.
Imagine that you are the team leader for a project at work. Your team has been assigned with opening a new market in Canada. A few items have been shipped already, but the delivery time is too long because of what appears to be paperwork problems with customs. You have already received complaints from your representatives. This problem needs to be resolved quickly, or the company will be placed in a difficult position and may lose the opportunity to be successful in opening this market.
With this situation in mind, address the following:
- Write a memo to attach to the agenda for a team meeting.
- State the issues you know of.
- Request that the team members come with ideas so this problem can be resolved at the meeting and implemented immediately.
- Deliverable length: 3-4 paragraphs
You have just attended a manager's meeting about establishing self-directed, high-performing teams. The company is concerned because some of the managers are having success building self-directed, high-performing teams while others are not. A discussion occurred that identified the characteristics of the successful team building elements and compared them to those managers that have not been successful. This is a situation where those who are struggling need to learn from those who are doing well. The discussions included identifying what could be going wrong and what steps might be taken for success.
You have been asked to write a research report that summarizes the meeting and offers some recommendations that might be helpful to those managers who are struggling. Specifically, your report must include:
- Identification of the difficulties the managers may be having in establishing self-directed, high-performing teams
- Identification of the successful characteristic of establishing self-directed, high-performing teams
- Recommendations for success
- A designed plan that might help guide the struggling managers and improve negotiation and conflict resolution skills
Deliverable length: 3-4 body pages.