This assignment allows students to learn about the fundamental differences between a parliamentary system of government and a presidential system of government by comparing case examples of each system.
Select one of the case study parliamentary examples presented at the end of Chapter 14 in our textbook (either “Parliamentary Government in India,” pp. 331-334 or “Parliamentary Government in Germany,” pp. 334-336), and compare it to either the “Presidential Government in Mexico” located on pages 358-360, or use the United States as the presidential system case example. Address the following questions in your analysis of the two case study examples:
- ·Briefly describe the parliamentary system of the case study you have selected.
- ·Describe the key characteristics and functions of the country’s parliament.
- ·Describe some of the strengths and weaknesses of the country’s parliament. How do these strengths and
weaknesses align with the advantages and disadvantages of a parliamentary system described in our textbook?
- ·Briefly describe the presidential system of the case study you have selected.
- ·Describe the key characteristics and functions of the country’s presidential system.
PS 2000, Introduction to Political Science 2
- ·Describe some of the strengths and weaknesses of the country’s presidential system. How do these strengths and weaknesses align with the advantages and disadvantages of a presidential system described in our textbook?
- ·Conclude the case study comparison by identifying the system (parliamentary system or presidential system), which you prefer, and indicate why.
You will also need to conduct some research outside of the textbook. You are required to use at least two outside sources besides the textbook. One must be from the CSU Online Library. Your second source may be from the Internet. You are permitted to use the resources listed under “Learning Activities,” but the use of these sources is not a requirement.
Formatting requirements: The paper should be a minimum of 1,200 words and formatted according to APA style. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations. All references and citations used must be in APA style.
Information about accessing the Blackboard Grading Rubric for this assignment is provided below.