You are a judge in Central City Juvenile Court. After 15 years on the bench, it is clear to you that many minority youths come before you in court. In fact, you have asked the records office to give you some statistics. Those statistics confirm that a higher percentage of minority youths, compared to their proportion in the County, come into Juvenile Court. You are convinced that the problem is larger than juvenile court. You believe that a significant reason for this problem is structural inequality and poverty.
Prepare an article intended to raise public awareness which addresses the following questions:
- What are the root causes of disproportionate minority confinement?
- What additional factors affect disproportionate minority confinement and minority youth?
- What can a judge, police respondents, and communities do about this problem?
Your well-written article should meet the following requirements:
- 3 pages in length, not including title and reference pages
- Cite a minimum of three scholarly academic peer-reviewed journal articles, books, and textbooks to support your responses that are not provided in the course.