History 270 Spring 2015 Frederick Douglass Essay Prompt
Using the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass as your only source write an essay that responds to this prompt:
Referring to The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass as your only source analyze how three separate events in the life of Douglass motivated him to risk his life and escape to freedom in the North. Then offer sophisticated explanations of three separate episodes that demonstrate how slavery corrupted whites. You need to offer detailed and comprehensive descriptions of each event to show your mastery of the reading, and explain in depth how the events you describe corrupted whites or caused Frederick to seek freedom. Do not generalize. Describe specific events.
The paper is due by the end of class on the date specified in the syllabus. Any paper turned in after I leave the classroom that day is late. You cannot turn in the essay by email, to my office, or to my department mailbox. I must receive a hard copy in class.
1. Type the essay using a 12-point font, double-spacing, and one-inch margins.
2. Type your name, the date, college name, and the question on a separate cover page.
3. Staple the pages of your essay together in the upper left-hand corner. Do not use report covers, paper clips, or any other means to attach the pages.
3. Do not use any quotations, citations, or footnotes at all in the essay. Everything needs to be in your own words.
4. The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass contains all the information you need to write the essay. You cannot use any other sources to write the paper.
5. Only turn in original work. Plagiarism will result in an “F” the paper and a report to university officials.
6. Presentation and the ability to follow directions contribute to your final grade on this assignment. Failure to follow these instructions will impact the final grade you receive on the paper.
7. If you turn in the paper late it cannot receive full credit. I possess sole discretion to determine the grade reduction for late work. If you do not like this scenario then turn your paper in on time.
8. The essay must end on page four. The cover page does not count towards this length requirement. Do not write beyond the fourth page. You will not receive credit for any part of the essay after the fourth page.
Hints on writing this assignment:
You need to describe specific events and provide details from the book.
You need to analyze and explain the importance of the events you mention in the context of the question. You need to organize your paper into paragraphs and each paragraph should focus on one topic.
You need to use the “spell check” button in your word processor program.
You need to proof read and rewrite the first draft of your paper and correct any mistakes you find.
Do not use contractions in your essay. For example spell out can’t as cannot.
Do not use a personal voice in the essay. For example do not say “I believe” or “I think.”
Do not put extra space between paragraphs.
Do not copy sentences directly from the book.