Assignment 1: Encryption Lecture
Due Week 3 and worth 100 points
This assignment consists of two (2) parts: a written paper and a PowerPoint presentation. You must submit both parts as separate files for the completion of this assignment. Label each file name according to the section of the assignment it is written for. Additionally, you may create and / or assume all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment
Imagine you’ve been sought out as a guest lecturer at a local university for an ethical hacking course. You have been asked to prepare a paper for the students, as well as a PowerPoint presentation, regarding the use of cryptography in corporations to minimize data theft.
Part 1: Written Paper
- Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Explain, in your own words, the purpose of cryptography and take a position on whether or not you believe encryption is sufficiently utilized in organizations today. Provide a rationale with your response.
- Describe the differences between symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
- Select the encryption method you believe is typically more reliable of the two and explain why. Determine if there are any situations where the typically less reliable method could be the better option.
- Select one (1) of the common cryptographic systems and justify why you believe it to be the best encryption technology to date.
- Describe the common uses of the aforementioned selected cryptographic system and provide a real-world example of how it is used in securing networks, files, and / or communications in the present day.
- Create a network diagram of a network and / or in a data flow where your real-world example would exist using a diagramming application such as Visio or Dia.
- Analyze current cryptographic attacks that are used in the present day and determine how they can be a detriment to the security where encryption is implemented.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment.Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include diagrams created in Visio or one of their equivalents such as Dia. The completed diagrams must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
Part 2: PowerPoint Presentation
Use Microsoft PowerPoint or an open source alternative, such as OpenOffice, to:
- Create a five to ten (5-10) slide PowerPoint presentation in which you:
- Summarize the concepts from your written paper in Part 1 of this assignment for the lecture you would give to the class regarding the use of cryptography in corporations to minimize data theft.
- Use a professional technically written style to graphically convey the information.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Describe cryptology and impact on cybercrime response.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in cybercrime techniques and response.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to cybercrime techniques and response using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.