CIS 223 Unit 5 Final Project Part 2
For the second part of this project you will take the business information, normalized data in 3NF and finalize the database design process:
- Complete MS Visio Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) for the database design. Include all maximum and minimum cardinalities on your diagram. Be sure to identify all primary and foreign key fields. The ERD CANNOT be hand-drawn; you must use MS Visio via the XenDesktop to create this diagram.
- You must include all business rules that will affect your database design. Business rules are constraints, or restrictions that limit how you develop your database. For example, in a sales-oriented database, quantities purchased cannot be negative. Identify all business rules that you believe will affect your database design. Also, decipher the relationships in your ER diagram in written form.
- Access DBMS – Create an Access database structure using the normalized data found in your 3NF dependency diagrams and your Visio ER diagram.
- Build tables including primary and foreign keys, data fields with specific data types, and notes in each field in design view explaining the purpose of the data. For instance, you have a table named EMPLOYEES, one field is named EMPLOYEE_ID, its data type is number, and its description is primary key unique number given to each new employee.
- Add at least five records to each table using the datasheet view.
- Create relationships between tables. Remember when creating a 1:M relationship between two tables you need to enter the primary key field of the parent into the child table as a foreign key field. If you have a M:N relationship, you need to create a linking table containing a composite primary key field with two 1:M relationships connecting to it.
- Create at least two queries that contain constraints.
- Design at least one form.
- Create at least two reports. One of these reports must be based upon one of your queries.
Assignment Upload: Visio ER diagram, written business rules, Access DBMS containing all items as seen in the project instructions. You will submit a .vsd or .vsdx file for your ERD, Word document for your business rules, and .accdb for your Access DBMS.