1. Which of the following is NOT a purpose of Purnell’s model?
A. Provide a model that links the most central relationships of culture
B. Provide a structure for analyzing cultural data
C. Provide a model that stereotypes cultures
D. Provide a framework for all health care providers to learn concepts and characteristics of culture
2. To what does the term cultural relativism refer?
A. The belief that behaviors and practices of people should be judged only from the context of their cultural system
B. The application of the majority group’s cultural view upon individuals and families
C. The practice of extending the policies and practices of one group to the disenfranchised and minority groups
3. To what does the term cultural awareness refer?
A. An appreciation of the external signs of diversity
B. Personal attitudes towards a culture
C. A skillful knowledge of ways in which to deliver care to cultures
4. Provide a model that stereotypes cultures
5. The empirical framework of Purnell’s model provides a basis for which of the following?
C. Health care providers
D. All of the above
6. Which of the following are variant characteristics of culture?
A. Educational status
D. All of the above
7. Which of the following is NOT an assumption on which Purnell’s model is based?
8. To what does the term cultural sensitivity refer?
A. Personal attitudes toward other cultures and refraining from saying things that could be offensive to those from other cultures
B. A state of mind or feeling about an aspect of a culture
C. The way people look at the universe and form basic assumptions about the world around them
9. To what does the term subculture refer?
A. The gradual adoption and incorporation of characteristics from a culture
B. A group of people with a culture that differentiates them from the larger culture of which they are a part
C. A belief that the behaviors and practices of people should be judged only from the context of their cultural system
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the 12 domains of culture?
C. Death rituals