Assignment 1: Fundamentals of Effective Communication in the Workplace
Due Week 5 and worth 80 points
Effective communication skills are essential in the workplace. Some businesses invest in training their employees on how to effectively communicate, because effective communication skills go beyond conversations. Employees must know how to express business issues effectively when writing reports and emails. Understanding the benefits of effective communication helps businesses to develop a workforce that is able to communicate effectively with coworkers, customers, and suppliers and increase productivity.
Write a one to two (1-2) page paper in which you:
- Describe a time when you experienced effective communication in a business environment.
- Discuss at least three (3) reasons why you perceived the communication to be effective, and explain the resulting impact to the business.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student's name, the professor's name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the elements that foster effective communication in business.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business.
- Write clearly and concisely about business issues using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the rubric found here.