Assignment 1: Creating a Thesis Statement
The subject of your essay for this course is “Changing Our Lives.” You have taken a marvelous, brave step on an educational journey. Congratulations! You have likely done a great deal of soul-searching to come to this enormous decision. The purpose of this essay, therefore, is for you to tell your readers (your instructor and your classmates) why you came to this decision. In your “Changing Our Lives” essay, you will address why you decided to go to college at this time in your life and state the reasons behind your decision.
In this assignment, you will take the first step of the essay writing process by creating a thesis statement for your “Changing Our Lives” essay. The following formula may be helpful in constructing your thesis statement. Please review the “Sample Student Essay – Thesis Statement” by clicking this link. (Please do NOT write your whole essay in this assignment. We will create the essay step-by-step each week for final submission in Week 10. Creating your thesis statement is the next step in creating your essay.)
Write a twenty to twenty-five (20-25) word thesis statement in which you:
- Construct a one (1) sentence thesis statement. (The thesis statement should clearly state the narrow topic and controlling idea of the essay.)
- Identify the narrow topic of the thesis statement by bolding the text.
- Identify the controlling idea of the thesis statement by underlining the text.
- Meet the assignment word count of twenty to twenty-five (20-25) words.
- Minimize mechanical and stylistic errors.
Your assignment must follow these APA formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required length.